We believe that you will be happy and successful at Outerbounds if the following prerequisites are met:
- Individual-Role fit: Do you have the right skill set and mindset, personal interest, and motivation to grow in a particular role?
- Product mindset: Our overarching goal is to provide delightful and polished user experiences for our customers, including non-technical concerns like documentation and user support. Are you excited and energized by this overall vision and approach?
- Not a jerk: We value humility, friendliness, thoughtfulness, and empathy highly. Will you thrive amongst colleagues like this?
Crucially, we are not evaluating you as a person. Even jerkiness can be a function of the environment and people around you, so we just need to evaluate the mutual match. Also, you can be an amazing individual with unique talents but we just don’t have a role for you today. For instance, as much as we might want to work with Barack Obama or Billie Eilish, we must honestly admit that we don’t have open roles that would make them or us happy currently. Maybe later!
As an early-stage startup, we don’t have clearly defined roles yet. At this point, everyone is expected to be involved in multiple efforts across the company. However, we know that there are dimensions of expertise that would complement our existing team and address our current business needs. Every individual has skills in each of these dimensions but we’d hope to hire people who clearly excel in at least one of the dimensions we are hiring for today.
Many companies call this hiring approach T-shaped. In the absence of clearly defined roles, we can loosely think that the leg of the T is the primary “role” that we are hiring you for. However, we don’t pigeonhole anyone based on a single strength: We love to support you in deepening other areas of your expertise and growing more legs for your T. A great thing about startups is that there will be many opportunities to learn and push the outer bounds of your expertise.
Below is a list of dimensions that we are looking for at the moment and the characteristics that define them. Note that the bullet points are not a list of requirements for every individual but rather a set of prototypical data points that help to identify the dimension.
- Python Specialist
- Years of experience in contributing to non-trivial Python projects.
- Good sense of aesthetics: What makes a project Pythonic.
- Understand how Python / Unix-like operating systems work internally.
- Experience with different types of Python projects: notebooks, web servers, CLI apps, scripts, etc.
- Understand the performance characteristics of Python / computers in general: How to make things slow vs. fast.
- Infrastructure Specialist
- Years of experience in building modern DevOps tools & best practices: CI/CD systems, deployment tools (CloudFormation, Terraform, Pulumi, etc)
- Deep expertise with the cloud, AWS in particular.
- Experience with K8S.
- Understanding of security/auth constructs and requirements.
- Understanding of networking constructs and requirements.
- Frontend Specialist
- Years of experience in building delightfully usable and beautiful GUIs.
- Experience with modern JS toolchain, ReactJS, etc.
- Experience in designing user workflows that provide a great UX.
- Experience in building tools for technical / professional users.
- Years of experience in crafting high-fidelity visual designs for technical products.
- Passion and expertise in product design, design systems, and related tooling.
- Understanding of the principles of delightful UX.
- Curiosity to work in a new field – previous experience of machine learning or infrastructure is not required.
🗃️ What to expect
- Meaningful Work: Your team directly enables and accelerates the innovation of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Impact: You will shape the future of an industry.
- Freedom & Responsibility: Our roles are not circumscribed, so we have the freedom to use our judgment to make Outerbounds better without permission.
- Inclusive: We embrace different backgrounds, perspectives, and styles because it helps us make better decisions.
- Stunning Colleagues: Work with amazing talent.
- Top-of-Market Compensation: You will be part of a high-performance team.
📬 If this sounds interesting, we would love to hear from you – email@example.com.